Thursday, May 22, 2008

One Day Left and Counting for Iowa

Well, first of all I must brag on my 15 yr. old son.........he received a proficient at State Solo Contest last Saturday and on Sunday received Band Member of the Year for 2007-2008. As the Band Director, Mr. Osborne was talking about the student, once he said that he is only a freshman and already writing music, I started to get misty eyed (imagine that)! We are all very proud of him. Of course, by the time his name was called I did my best to not let my tears of joy flow as not to embarrass the poor lad. We all got a good laugh out of it and said if I could get that choked up about a band award, what will I do if he makes field commander (for marching band), little lone his high school graduation. He laughed and said that he would just make sure that everyone knew I was his "Aunt" and not his Mom.......gotta love teenagers!

Rachel is working hard on getting all her flute music down for the concert next Thursday. She is not only playing with her 6th grade class, but also playing with the 7th grade class, and singing a solo (possibly 2) for chorus. Of course there will be awards at her concert, so now she is really trying to work even harder so that she can come away with an award just as significant as her brothers. Last night we were so proud of her, she actually asked Darryl if he could help her work out a couple of "kinks" in her music. He does such a great job of working with her. We were in our room with Isaac and could hear Darryl clapping out the rhythm for her. When they came in we asked if it was all worked out and Darryl said she did a great job and sounded good.

Isaac's road trip was a huge success. I received a phone call from him as they were leaving the movie theatre and he was so excited. He was practically screaming on the phone. Mommy you have to see this movie.....it is so AWESOME! I think I lost my hearing for a few minutes (not really just kidding). I was glad that he had such a great time. Both he and Russell enjoyed the movie.

Well, tomorrow we leave for our Iowa road trip. This week has been really hard! Almost everything thing I see and or touch makes me cry. I've been trying hard not to watch much TV this week, because it seems like someone is always dying or terribly sick. As I type this post I am struggling with all the questions that come when you truly become honest with yourself and begin to grieve as God expects us too. I am mad that I wasn't there with him...why couldn't God let him live just a few more months when I would be better.....I wasn't there when my Mom died, why did I twice not have the opportunity to say goodbye and help them move on to a better life. Why do I feel like God is punishing me; when will this hole in my heart heal? Every time I enter our family room, I see my Daddy's picture and wonder why?????? If anyone out there has any good suggestions, I am open. I started re-reading the book I read when my Mom died, but somehow this time it is not happening. While I loved my Mom, I was not truly as close to her as I was my Daddy. I keep trying to make sense of it all, but somehow I don't seem to get far with it. I will let you know when we get back on Monday (possibly might have to wait until next weekend) since I will be going back to work on Tuesday.

We will take pictures and I will try and get new ones on here. One thing that Isaac is looking forward to is his John Deere tractor rides. A family friend and someone that I went to high school with is willing to give him a tractor ride. Isaac also wants to sit in a "big truck" like Papa drove (my dad was a truck driver), so I want to take him over to where Daddy retired from, it is just a stones throw away from Daddy's house so that he (and anyone else that wants to) sit in one again.

Well, I guess I will close for now, because it is becoming hard to type through the tears. I hope you all have a safe and happy Memorial Day weekend! God Bless our soldiers that have given the ultimate sacrifice for our freedom and continue to do so every day!

Tina

No comments: